Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Enjoying our time here!

We are keeping a busy schedule while we are here. Yesterday we went to a beautiful 5 star hotel for dinner. Siva's oldest brother took us. While we were there we ran into the gentlemen that we met in Germany. I would say it was a small world but when you are in a small country of over 1 billion people it doesn't seem like it. It seem a little more like the title of Thomas Friedman's latest book, "Flat, Hot, and Crowded." We had a great time, but again it was around 8 p.m. and the boys were so sleepy that they couldn't eat.

Today we went to my niece's school and chatted with the principle for a couple of hours. It was a very enjoyable exchange. Education in India is very competitive. Most children are in private schools so there is a lot of competition for students and a lot of pressure for students to do well. It reminded me of choosing curriculum. You have a million choices and are expected to choose just the right one. Again though, Vijay having had a big breakfast of a bowl of rice with rasam and okra, a bowl of curd rice, and then just a bowl of curd, oh yeah and a cup of hot cocoa, he fell asleep sitting up in a chair in the principle's office. We are planning to send him to school for a day with Sandya. She is in 2nd grade also.

This Saturday Siva, his brother, Sanjay, Vijay, and whomever else hears about it will be taking a flight to another city to check up on a job site. I told the ladies I would cook for them all day and bring them their coffee. I am a nervous wreck. If I can't pull this off they will probably never visit me in the U.S. It should be a very entertaining day. My sisters-in-law are very fun loving and we enjoy a great friendship and good girl talk.

Siva is keeping busy. He also wakes up at all hours of the night, so he gets to work. It works out well because he is then free during the day. He talks business with his brothers all day long.

From Sanjay:
Time with my cousins is very fun. I taught them a few games. I brought some balloons which we used for water balloon fights. The dads even play along with us. Vijay dropped a balloon on Uncle Ramesh's head from the balcony and it roll down his head and popped on someone else. It was really funny. I loved playing ball at the beach. I taught my cousin Kumar how to play football. Today we went shoe shopping and I got a great pair of sandles; Vijay got crocs. Wish you all were here with me. Bye!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Guys - Dana this is fantastic. What a great idea. The poor Widget. All that food and only 31 days to eat it. i am concerned!! How will he do it. This is almost as good as our 9 o'clocker. i can't wait to see some pictures. Kiss 'em kids for me. shelby ses hi wig and song

    ReplyDelete